Littlehampton (BN17) is located in the Arun District of West Sussex, roughly four miles south of Arundel. The seaside resort can be traced back to prehistoric and Roman times and appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as the small hamlet of Hantone.
In the 1100s the settlement is believed to have been a fishing and farming community, with the town home to a tiny port. In 1139, Stephen and Empress Matilda were both laying claim to the throne and an army coming from France landed in Littlehampton in a failed attempt to claim the throne for Matilda.
The area began to develop as a more important port, due to its location at the end of the River Arun. The name of the town was changed to be Littlehampton, to distinguish it from Southampton further along the coast.
Shipbuilding was an important industry during the reign of Henry VIII, with a Royal Dockyard located in Littlehampton. By the 1600s Littlehampton had to grown to 100-150 people, with the area still primarily a farming settlement but with a ferry, blacksmiths and a pub.
Towards the end of the 18th Century, the town began to change from a small fishing and farming community to a holiday destination.
A bathhouse was built in the town in 1802 and the first theatre in the town opened in 1807.
In 1816 the Wey and Arun canal opened, allowing people to travel from London to Littlehampton by boat. The railway then arrived in 1863, bringing an increasing number of visitors to the town. A cross-channel ferry to Honfleur in France was also introduced in the latter part of the 19th Century.
In the 19th and early 20th Centuries the town saw major growth. Between 1801 and 1902, Littlehampton’s population grew from around 584 to 5,954. By 1911, the population was over 8,000.
This growth was as a result of the town’s status as both a port and a popular holiday resort, with merchant ships sailing to Littlehampton from across the world.
By the mid-1930’s over 250,000 holidaymakers and day trippers were visiting Littlehampton every year. However, when World War II broke out, pleasure visitors were banned with the town instead becoming a centre for air / sea rescue patrols.
Post-war saw large-scale building extending the town to absorb the surrounding villages of Wick, Lyminster, and Toddington.
In 1967, the town became the home of the first ever Blue Peter lifeboat, donated by viewers of the Blue Peter TV programme.
Today the town is a flourishing seaside resort with a population of around 25,000.
The Manor House
The Manor House was built between 1790 and 1830, with two extensions being added shortly after its initial construction.
The beautiful Grade II listed building is located on Church Street and has several traditional Georgian sash windows.
Originally built as a home, the building was purchased by Littlehampton Urban District Council from Mrs Drummond-Murray in 1932 and officially opened as the council’s offices in 1934. Today it is also home to the local museum.
Littlehampton Friends Meeting House
Littlehampton Friends Meeting House was originally built as a Penny School around 1835. After the school closed, it passed into religious use when Plymouth Brethren acquired it. In 1965, the building was brought by the local Quaker community as a permanent meeting house.
The building, which has pointed-arched casement windows and bay sash windows, was designated a Grade II Listed building in 1975.
The Six Bells Public House, Lyminster
Located in Lyminster, between Littlehampton and Arundel, The Six Bells is a Grade II listed old coaching inn, which dates back to the 1700s.
The traditional flint building still retains several of its original features and casement windows, with later extensions having wooden sash windows.
Timber Windows in Littlehampton (BN17)
Traditional, period properties can still be seen across Littlehampton, with the town being home to over 100 listed buildings and multiple conservation areas.
With so many period homes, wooden sash windows and casement windows can be spotted throughout the town and local area.
At The Sash Window Workshop we have extensive knowledge of replacing and upgrading timber windows and doors in period homes, including listed buildings and conservation areas. We have previously carried out work on several properties in and around the BN17 postcode area.
Header image by Phil Laycock / Littlehampton Seafront and Common.