Listed Building Guide
Listed buildings offer some challenges regarding the type of repair work that can and cannot be carried out to the windows and doors.
We will do everything we can to guide you correctly and assist with any required application where we can. We can supply technical drawings of proposed windows to support an application once an order has been committed to us.
If you are unsure whether or not your property is a listed building, you can check by entering your postcode on Historic England’s website.
Replacing Windows and Doors in Grade II Listed Buildings
The following rules generally apply to Grade II listed buildings. However, we would always recommend checking with your local authority before proceeding with any work on a listed building.
- Existing timber windows can normally be draught sealed and overhauled without the need to obtain permission.
- Timber frames can normally be repaired without the need to obtain permission. However, the scope of repair is limited by the type of window and the extent of the repair required.
- Replacement single glazing is often permitted, where glazing is of a similar thickness to the existing glass.
- Installation of new internal ironmongery is permitted to increase security.
- Replacement single sashes &/or casements will require planning consent prior to works being carried out.
- Complete new windows will require planning consent prior to works being carried out.
- Double glazing can sometimes be installed, with planning consent prior to works being carried out, as long as the double glazing is narrow profile (such as The Sash Window Workshop’s Heritage unit), which are individual units traditionally glazed with putty. This system is limited to minimum glazing bar thickness of 24mm and maximum pane sizes.
- Bespoke timber secondary glazing is often an option in grade II listed buildings to increase thermal efficiency.
If you own a listed building and are looking to install wooden secondary glazing, draught proof or replace your timber windows and doors, contact us today on 01344 868 668 for a free, no obligation site survey and quotation.
For more information on what work can and cannot be carried out on listed buildings, and in Article 4 conservation areas, click on the link below to download our listed building and conservation area guide:
Click Here to Download our Listed Building & Conservation Area Guide
To view examples of our previous work, view our gallery pages.