Customer Portal

01344 868668 | Email: | Contact Us


When looking to replace your windows in a Conservation Area, the first thing that you need to establish is whether your home is in an Article 4 Conservation Area.

If your home is in an Article 4 Conservation Area, you will need to obtain full planning consent before replacing your windows. This is due to Article 4 Conservation Areas restricting the ‘Permitted Development’ rights on a property.

Conservation Area Sash Windows

In contrast, Conservation Areas that are not Article 4 normally retain their ‘Permitted Development’ rights, meaning that replacement windows can be installed providing that they are ‘in keeping’ with the general appearance of the house or area. Assuming this is done, there is not normally a requirement to obtain planning permission to replace windows. However, it is important to check the regulations for your local area, as planning requirements can vary between different councils.

If your property is also listed, you will need to adhere to additional requirements specific for listed buildings.

The Sash Window Workshop

At The Sash Window Workshop, we will always advise you of the best solution for your requirements which we believe is likely to be approved by planning officers.

All our timber windows are bespoke and can be manufactured to comply with Conservation Area or listed property requirements.

We are happy to supply technical drawings of your proposed replacement windows to support a planning application once an order has been committed to us.

If your property is in an Article 4 Conservation Area or is a Listed Building, we will require proof that Planning Permission has been granted prior to proceeding with any replacement work.

For more advice on carrying out work to windows in a Conservation Area or listed building, view our Listed Property and Conservation Area Guide.

Contact Us Today for a Free Quotation:

Powered by ChronoForms -