Hammersmith and Fulham
Hammersmith and Fulham is home to 45 conservation areas, which cover roughly half of the London borough.
The West London borough was formed in 1965 when the boroughs of Hammersmith and Fulham were combined. However, Hammersmith and Fulham had previously been joined together as the Fulham District from 1855 to 1886.
By the 17th century, forests were being cleared for farmland and the thousand inhabitants moved to the Hammersmith and Fulham area including wealthy merchants.
Hammersmith is renowned for a number of high quaity schools. Edward Latymer’s bequest of 1642 enabled a boys’ school to be founded which still bears his name. He later provided additional funds to amalgamate with Sir William Godolphin’s 17th century school to form Godolphin & Latymer.
During the 19th century a considerable amount of farmland was turned over to the creation of brickfields as the clay soil provided good building materials for London as it continued to expand.
Many ponds and lakes were formed as a result of this activity and Lakeside Road near Brook Green is a reminder of this extremely profitable business.
The lure of the riverside attracted a wonderful variety residents including Queen Caroline, the estranged wife of the Prince Regent, who lived at Brandenburgh House from 1820-1821.
The opening of the Metropolitan line from Paddington to Hammersmith in 1864 followed seven years later by the District Line made the area very attractive to those seeking work in the City and between 1881 and 1901 the population soared from 72,000 to 112,000. This growth triggered an explosion in house building and the market gardens, which the area was famous for, disappeared under terraces of houses with The Vineyard being the last of the market gardens to close in 1897. In recent years Lyric Square has been revitalised and the flourishing weekly market stalls act a vibrant reminder of Hammersmith’s village past.
By the 1920s the population had grown again to 288,000 as a result of the largescale employment in riverside industries.
Timber Windows in Hammersmith and Fulham
With a mixture of Victorian and Edwardian properties throughout the London borough, Hammersmith and Fulham is home to a wide variety of timber sash and casement windows.
In addition to Hammersmith and Fulham, Shepherd’s Bush and the White City district also come under the Hammersmith and Fulham London borough.
The replacement of these windows is controlled within the conservation areas to help retain the heritage of these historic buildings. One example of this is the timber windows in Uxbridge Road, Shepherd’s Bush Green where the upper floors of the terrace are required to be timber vertical sliding sashes with glazing bars, with the exception of those within arched openings which are timber casement windows, with clear glass.