Redhill is located to the west of Reigate and south of Croydon. In the early 1800s, there were two settlements in the area. One of these settlements was based near Redhill Common and the other was located towards the west of where Redhill town centre sits today.
Known as Warwick Town, the settlement to the west was developed along Warwick Road and North Street. With the opening of the new road from London to Brighton in 1818, both settlements benefitted from the passing trade.
Between 1800 and 1850, the population of Reigate grew slowly, but it suddenly exploded between 1851 and 1861, doubling to nearly 10,000 by 1861.
This rapid growth was as a result of the coming of the railway and in the early 1840s Warwick Town became known as Redhill. The gap through the Greensand Ridge was a major advantage when planning the route of the London to Brighton railway and a railway station serving Redhill opened along this route on 12th July 1841. The railway to London allowed people to live in the countryside and commute to working in the city and this led to the area becoming a more popular location to live.
Another railway station, which was instead located on the London to Dover railway line, followed at Redhill on 26th May 1842. However, this turned out to not be very practical as anyone wanting to travel from Brighton to Dover and change at Redhill had to walk between the two stations, a distance of roughly one mile.
Therefore, on 15th April 1844 both the two railway stations were closed, and a new combined railway station was opened in its place which served both railways.
Today Redhill is home to around 18,000 people (excluding the Merstham area) and adjoins Reigate.
Royal Earlswood Hospital
The Royal Earlswood Hospital was built between 1853 and 1855, with the foundation stone being laid by Prince Albert. It was designed by William Bonython Moffat and built by John Jay, who also worked on the Houses of Parliament. The building was purpose built for the hospital after their previous building in Highgate became too small to be fit for purpose.
The hospital was extended between 1869 and 1873 with the adding of two new wings. Some of the more notable residents included two first cousins of the Queen, Nerissa and Katherine Bowes-Lyon.
The hospital closed in 1997 and was redeveloped for residential use. Today it is known as Royal Earlswood Park, with the main Jacobean-style building known as Victoria Court.
The main building is a Grade II listed building, with several casement windows, and is today split into luxury apartments.
The Junction pub was originally known as the Wheatsheaf, although its name has changed several times over the years. The current Edwardian building was built in the early 1900s, although there was a pub at this location for several years prior to this.
Today the building is locally listed. The top floor of the building has several 4 over 4 sash windows, with bespoke windows on the middle floor.
Timber windows in Redhill (RH1)
Having grown substantially during the Victorian era, several Victorian properties can be found in Redhill. As a result, timber box sash windows and bay windows can be found on many roads within Redhill.
There are also a number of Edwardian properties, that were built in the early 1900s, with timber casement windows.
Redhill is home to five Conservation Areas: St John’s, Linkfield Street, Shaws Corner, Redstone Hill and the town centre.
There are two Grade II* listed buildings in Redhill. One of these is Fengates House, which is located within Linkfield Street Conservation Area and is a three storey, mid-18th Century, Georgian property.
At The Sash Window Workshop, we have extensive experience sympathetically replacing and draught proofing timber windows in period properties. We also offer a replacement service for external timber doors.
We regularly work in Redhill (RH1) and the surrounding area and, when required, can comply with Conservation Area or listed building regulations.