Customer Portal

01344 868668 | Email: | Contact Us


If you are travelling across London on the underground in the next couple of months, look out for our tube adverts in Highgate (N6) and Chiswick Park (W4).

Highgate North London Tube Station

Highgate, North London

The original Highgate station was built in the 1860s to serve the Edgware, Highgate and London railway line. By the time it opened on the 22nd August 1867 the line had been purchased by Great Northern Railway. In the 1880s, the station was rebuilt.

The London Underground was a later addition to the station and Highgate didn’t start serving tube trains until 1941.

After a temporary closure between October 1951 and January 1952, British Railways ended passenger services between Finsbury Park and Alexandra Palace permanently on the 3rd July 1954. British Rail freight traffic continued to pass through Highgate until 1964.

The station was then rebuilt in the 1950s. Designed by the architect Charles Holden, the pre-war plans for the new station included a large entrance building at the top of the hill. The building was designed to have been topped by a statue of Dick Whittington and his cat. However, when works were finished in 1957 a lot of Charles Holden’s original plans for the station had been simplified, with a simple entrance at the top of the cutting.

The surface part of the station remains today, but it has not been used since 1954. Only one of the original 1867 station buildings still exist, which is in use as a private house. The station is now solely served by the High Barnet branch of the Northern line.

Chiswick Park, West London

Chiswick Park tube station was originally opened 1 July 1879 and is located on the Ealing Broadway branch of the District line. The station is located on the site of the Battle of Turnham Green.

Chiswick Park was originally named Acton Green after the adjacent Acton Green Common. It was then renamed to Chiswick Park and Acton Green in 1887, before being changed to Chiswick Park in 1910.

In the early 1930s the station was rebuilt to allow for the extension of the Piccadilly line. Although the Piccadilly line has never served Chiswick Park, its trains run non-stop through the station.

The new tube station was also designed by Charles Holden, inspired by Alfred Grenander's underground station Krumme Lanke in Berlin. Chiswick Park, which has been Grade II listed since 1987, features a tall semi-circular ticket hall. The station also has a square brick tower surmounted by the underground logo and the station’s name.

The Sash Window Workshop

At The Sash Window Workshop, we specialise in the replacement and repair of timber windows and doors in period properties across London and the South of England.

Our expert team will listen to you and help identify the right solution to meet your requirements.

To obtain a free, no obligation site survey and quotation contact The Sash Window Workshop on: 01344 868 668.

Contact Us Today for a Free Quotation

Contact Us Today for a Free Quotation

Powered by ChronoForms -